At Glasshouses School, we have a very effective system in place for identifying and supporting children who may be more able or who have a Special Educational Need (SEND). We have a SENCO in place (Mrs. Nicola Wilkinson). It is her role to coordinate the support for these children  and work closely with parents and external agencies

What ‘special educational needs’ means

The term 'special educational needs' (SEN) has a legal definition, referring to children who have learning difficulties or disabilities that make it harder for them to learn or access education than most children of the same age.
If your child has special educational needs, they may need extra help in a range of areas, for example:

    • school work
    • reading, writing, number work or understanding information
    • expressing themselves or understanding what others are saying
    • making friends or relating to adults
    • behaving properly in school
    • organising themselves
    • some kind of sensory or physical needs which may affect them in school


A step by step approach to meeting your child’s needs

Children learn in different ways and can have different levels or kinds of SEN.  So if your child has SEN, we will develop a step by step approach to meeting their needs. This may involve bringing in specialist expertise to help with the difficulties they may have. This step-by-step approach is set out in the Special Educational Needs Code of Practice.

Your child’s class teacher will let you know if your child begins to receive extra or different help because of their learning needs. The level of extra help is known as SEN Support and replaces School Action and School Action Plus provision for SEN children, and could be:

    • a different way of teaching certain things
    • some extra help from an adult
    • using particular equipment like a computer or special desk


Your child may need help through this step-by-step approach for only a short time, or for many years. You will be consulted at every step, and be told about your child's progress


Individual Education Plan (IEP)

Your child's teacher is responsible for working with your child on a day-to-day basis. Once they have been identified as needing additional SEN support, they will write down the individual support for your child in the form of an Individual Education Plan (IEP).
The Individual Education Plan (IEP) could include:

    • what special or additional help is being given
    • who will provide the help and how often
    • how your child’s needs are supported in class day to day.
    • what help you can give your child at home
    • your child’s targets
    • how and when progress will be checked


You will receive your child’s IEP at a meeting with our SENCO. There will be further meetings to review your child's provision with the SENCO each half term to review progress made and to set targets for the next term to work on at both home and school.

Your child’s progress at school

Children make progress at different rates and have different ways in which they learn best. When planning lessons based around the National Curriculum, your child's teacher will take account of your child's needs by looking carefully at how they organise their lessons, classroom, books and materials in order to ensure the best possible outcomes. The teacher will then choose suitable ways to help your child learn from a range of activities (often described as 'differentiating the curriculum').

If your child is making slower progress or having particular difficulties in one area, they may be given extra help or different lessons to help them succeed. Just because your child is making slower progress than you expected or the teachers are providing different support, help or activities in class, this doesn't necessarily mean that your child has SEN.

If your child does not make enough progress whilst receiving additional SEN support, their teacher, sometimes in conjunction with the SENCO, will contact you. We might advise you that we need to gain specialist advice to meet your child’s needs. This could include a specialist teacher, Educational Psychologist or a speech and language therapist. We will seek your permission to refer to an outside agency and will keep you regularly informed of any outcomes or next steps recommended for your child. 

If your child's needs continue to hinder their learning and development and the school feels it needs additional support in order to deliver an appropriate level of provision it may be necessary to apply for an Educational Health Care Plan (previously known as statements). There will be a detailed discussion between home, school and any outside agencies before the decision to apply for this additional level of support is made.

Information Report

Please click the link below to view our current Information Report.

SEND Information Report 2021-2022


Please click the link below to view our current SEND Policy.

Special Educational Needs and Disability Policy

SEND - Local Offer

All North Yorkshire maintained schools have a similar approach to meeting the needs of pupils with Special Educational Needs and/or Disabilities (SEND.)   They are supported by the Local Authority to ensure that all pupils, whatever their specific needs, make the best possible progress in school.   The Local Authority publishes its Local Offer which provides information for children and young people with special educational needs (SEND) and their parents or carers in a single place.

Find out more from the North Yorshire County Council website

Annual Reviews

Please click here to view the Statement and Health Care Plan